Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Unsecured Wireless Networks Are The New Newspapers.

This is one of the reasons I love the twenty-first century. Oh sure, there are some who whine and pine for simpler times, but give me the choice of two unsecured wireless networks whilst I'm stuck in a doctors' waiting room (one that doesn't use leeches) and I'll show you a happy man with his finger on the pulse of the world. That there to your right is a picture of me reading the Scottish headlines via the BBC News site on my PSP. Admittedly, not a great picture, because whilst we have up-to-the-minute medical practices, wireless broadband internet access and hand-sized machines capable of accessing it, putting a digital camera with more than .03 megapixels and a half-decent lens inside an affordable cellphone is apparently still the stuff of Robert A Heinlan's wet dreams.

Time was a blokey like me would take a newspaper or a book into situations where I'd be sitting somewhere for a long time, like a waiting room or heaving out a particularly stubborn Greyfriar's on the cludgie. Now, a quick scan to see if there's a lingering Linksys or two and I'm in like Flint for some time burning off-goofery whilst I wait for some Lexus-driving quack to bend me over the table and shake the last dimes from my trousers. The twenty-first century kicks ass, there's no doubt about it.

4 comments:

jedijawa said...

Amen brother.

muzeuterpe1 said...

God I love foreign languages.

hee hee

PumpkinSpider said...

Sorry bruv, my phone is 18 months old and has a 2 megapixel camera on it (which is as good as the one I bought when I last visited in 2003)... and I got it for free because my contract had ended and I was threatening to go to another service provider... guess things just work a little differently over here...
:-D

Brendan said...

Dude I didn't know the PSP could do wireless access. I've thought about getting a web-enabled phone except I don't talk to anyone so that would be perfect. I like the idea of watching movies in bed on the thing too, and instead of reading on the toilet?! The possibilities are endless! Now I just have to win the lottery or something in order to afford the damn thing :)