Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bwaa haa haa ha haa haa...

I dare you to click this link. It's the results of Ship Of Fools' scheme to find the 10 funniest (and most offensive) religious jokes. Some will laugh, some will wince, some will condemn the writers, the submitters and probably me to the firey depths of damnation for all eternity. Feh, it doesn't bother me. If there's a hell and it's a foregone conclusion that I'll be on the first bus there, I can, at the very least, be where the great jokes and good music are. And what a bus ride it will be...

Humour is one of those wonderfully subjective things. Funny to me may not be funny to you and to some, there are subjects that are off-limits to humour altogether. I'm spiritual and have my own personal set of beliefs - I don't believe in organised religion and I certainly don't subscribe to the "go to church every sunday, fear God and pray daily or go to hell" mindset of some. In fact, I feel pity for people like that. To me, the man upstairs is a cool kinda dude and if I was God, I certainly wouldn't want to be surrounded by sycophants for all eternity. But we share my world with people like that and to them, most - if not all - of these jokes will be way out of bounds. Some deal with Christian imagery, some with Christ himself and others beat the well-worn path of the priesthood and paedophillia.

The line is firmly drawn for some when it comes to topics for jokes. For me, there's no line to draw if the joke is funny. Do I find jokes about Scottish people funny... most of the time, no. Some of them I find downright offensive, some of them just aren't funny artistically. I mean, if someone else sends me the story/joke/song/poem about the Scottish guy who falls asleep under the tree and wakes up with a bow around his fun parts, I'll scream. But that doesn't mean that Joe Schmoe from Idaho won't find it funny. I'm sure there are people out there who find redneck jokes incredibly offensive, but I think they're hella humourous. For example, what's a redneck fortune cookie? A biscuit with a food stamp inside.

You're wrong, that's a great joke.

But I have heard some Scot-centric jokes that made me chuckle and some I have repeated both to Scots and to non-Scots. So click and enjoy the religious jokes. Or, indeed, click and repent should you feel the need. But here's the great punchline to the story that had me laughing even harder than the jokes themselves... Ship Of Fools, the website that brought you those wonderfully offensive religious jokes, is a Christian humour magazine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sapphirescarlet said...

HILARIOUS!

Stacey said...

Thanks for the link. BTW, the redneck fortune joke IS great!