Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Pod Alone Knows...

I've been making semi-decent radio for around 12 years now in three cities radically different both in location and culture. Recently my friend and radio mentor John Collins asked me if I'd be interested in trying out an experimental podcast with him. Readers familiar with the happy(ish) days of yore over in talk radio land will remember John as our international correspondent in the mornings and, latterly, sporadic afternoons. John's a born programmer and radio genius in addition to being an extremely gifted and natural host, so it's an offer I didn't shrug off. With the prospect of non-music broadcasting again, my mind automatically jumped to another friend and radio mentor Paul Wheeler, who has since retired from radio to do other, more important things as a natual addition to John's suggestion of "transatlantic politics, gossip and geekdom" Whilst I would love to work with my two radio idols again (wow, how very obsequious!) I question in my mind whether a return to the talk format is a good idea. Despite the fact that Paul 'n' Spike era-58Live has been offair for more than a year, he and I still get compliments about it. In radio, that's an achievement in and of itself, but in a market like Charleston whose listeners are fickle and forgiving at the best of times, it's practically unheard of. If Charleston radio listeners can be accused of anything, it's not caring when things change. As much as our egos would love to have seen a revolution at the gates of the Death Star when it all came crashing down, we knew it would never happen.

I'm excited by the prospect, but totally overwhelmed by the scope of it. Paul hasn't responded to the idea yet and the setup is very much embryonic, but I'm a tenacious dude when I've committed to something.

So here's the conundrum; Is it better to let sleeping dogs lie, ride the compliments until they fade and say no, or do we risk shark-jumping by pulling out our heaphones and headlines again?

I'll let you know what I decide.... when I decide.

5 comments:

Jacque said...

Ah, Spike, go for it. I'm one of the legion of people who stopped listening when you and Paul stopped the show ... I LOVED 58Live as it used to be. I can't stomach it all that well now. You guys were flippin' fantastic. I miss it. I don't even listen to local talk anymore, really. Isn't that kind of depressing? I'm in the state's biggest city, and I hate the talk radio. If you go Podcast, I'll download my head off. :)

Senihele said...

Shark jump! Jump Shark! Eat the damn thing just go for it! ;-)

Spike Nesmith said...

Aw thanks, guys.

"Jacque, I hope you can bear to ditch XM between 10am and 2pm to tune into 100.9fm," said he plugging shamelessly, "i'll even play you a song or three."

Stacey said...

Sounds like a great idea! Go for it!

Anonymous said...

This vblog teleprompter is a quick and easy way to make every PodCast or VBlog you make sound just like Anderson Cooper on CNN or someone like him recorded it. Go to VBlogPro.com.